Featured Post

90 Days & Beyond

To say that I have been under intense personal construction and refinement these past months is an understatement. The choice to "not ...

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

GOALS

Below is an excerpt from The American Council on Exercise's Strategies for Behavior Modification Course:

***
Client–Health Coach Role Play:

Health coach: “Please tell me your health and fitness goals.”

Client: “I’d like to lose weight—about 50 pounds.”

Health coach: “What will be different in your life if you achieve that goal?”

Client: “I want my clothes to fit better and feel like I have more energy.”

Health coach: “And why is this important to you?”

Client: “I just want to feel better. I sometimes get so tired that I have little energy left and snap at my kids and husband at the end of a long day.”

Health coach: “How do you see your weight-loss goal having a connection to this?”

Client: “I don’t know.”

Health coach: “Do your responsibilities at home and work leave you feeling like you have no time for yourself and that you are doing for others all day?”

Client (begins to get emotional): “Now that you mention it, I often think to myself that I just would like some ‘me’ time. And I get down on myself, as I want to set a good example for healthy living to my kids, but I just feel like I can’t get started when I have to keep handling everything that comes my way each day.”

Health coach: “Could it be that you’ve never really progressed in your weight-loss goal because weight loss, in and of itself, isn’t really your most important goal? It seems to me that having some time for yourself so you can give to others without losing yourself and setting a good example for your kids so they grow up with healthy behaviors is very important to you. Does that sound accurate?”

Client: “You know, I’ve never really thought of it that way, but you’re right. I’ve always put my own goals on hold when life gets busy and I just feel so drained inside because I can’t escape the things I do for others.”

Health coach: “Have you considered that by carving out some time for exercise, getting proper rest, and having better nutrition, you might be more efficient and effective in your other roles, while also setting a good example for your kids on how to manage their lives when they become adults? If they see you reacting to the stresses of the day and ignoring your own needs, they might wind up following the same pattern when they are older.”

Client: “Wow. That sure gives me a lot to think about. Fitness has always been something I’ve felt like I was supposed to do, but also felt guilty about taking the time to pursue.”

In this example, the same behaviors that might achieve weight loss are put in the context of the client having some time for herself, becoming more efficient, and setting a good example for her kids. By attaching the goals to the client’s values, they take on new relevance.

 ***
There are three key reasons to transform large goals into smaller, more realistic goals: 
  1. Overly general or unrealistic goals demotivate and overwhelm people.
  2. Small goals direct energy to manageable actions and tasks.
  3. Transforming larger aspirations into a series of smaller goals provides a clearer picture, or roadmap, for success.
 
You can achieve this by examining past experiences and obstacles and where you presently are and where you would like to go, and then establishing SMART Goals: Specific Measureable Attainable Relevant and Time-bound.
 
 SMART Goals are beneficial because: 
  1. They provide clarity and direction on a daily basis.
  2. They motivate during the process of change.
  3. They help reduce relapse and enhance program adherence.
Specific: Goals must be clear and unambiguous, stating specifically what should be accomplished.

Measurable: Goals must be measurable so that you can see whether you are making progress. Examples of measurable goals include performing a given workout two times a week or losing 5 pounds.

Attainable: Goals should be realistically attainable by the individual. The achievement of attaining a goal reinforces commitment to the program and encourages you to continue.

Relevant: Goals must be relevant to the particular interest, needs, and abilities of the individual.

Time-bound: Goals must contain estimated timelines for completion. You should evaluate regularly to monitor progress toward goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment